The Open Road. Three words that sum up the freedom, the promise, and potentially the risk, of the North American experience. I've waited far too long as it is, and so I will go, to see the things I've always wanted to see, and to live this continent from the outside-in. This will be the chronicle of my travels.
Things you need to know:
1) I'm Anthony and I'm Canadian. And the great majority of this trip will be in the United States, so I'll be playing the part of the outsider while I'm there. That being said I have a great affection for America and Americans, so hopefully I can make some friends along the way.
2) Dave is my travelling partner in those whole escapade. He's a 2006 Dodge Charger (and no he doesn't have a HEMI - and please don't mention it - he's sensitive). We've spent years together driving back and forth to work and doing all the workaday things a man and his car do. We both figured it was time for a little adventure.
3) I'm doing this because I can. I am in the frightening and, some might say enviable, position of having no job, no responsibilities and (a little) money in the bank. My money reserves have been slowly lowering over the past few months so that getting a part-time job (at the very least) has become inevitable. If I'm going to run out of money, I might as well do it in style.
4) After leaving Toronto, I'll be heading down the east coast of the United States, starting in New York. I would've started in Boston, but I used to live there, so that's out. I want all new experiences for this trip. After New York, it's DC, and then slowly on down the 95 to Florida. This is not a race, I'll stop anywhere I feel like if I think it'll be interesting. After Key West, we'll see where I'm at financially, and if I want to chance it, I'll head out west and kick around California for a bit.
5) I'm taking the laptop with me, but my internet may be sporadic, and thus, so may my posts. I will do my damnedest to keep this thing updated though. I intend this thing to be a permanent testament to the trip, and I plan to treat it that way.
That's it for the first post. There may be a couple more preparation posts before I actually hit the road.
As a standing statement, if anybody at any part of this journey thinks there's something I ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE, then by all means, please let me know.
*image is GIS for Open Road. Off lauriegough.com