Skip to main content

A Strange Familiarity


Globalization travels along many different wavelengths and frequencies but always with the same familiar shape -- golden arches.  I was a little uncertain taking the cab into Playa Del Carmen as I wasn't sure what to expect.  I'd been by and it looked like mid-sized coastal city but I'd never been to the tourist area.  Now, I've been to tropical 'tourist areas' that were hot urban sprawl nestled between megamalls and others that were barely a group of markets with a gravel lot for buses.  Hell, I'd been to one of the latter on the way to Chichen Itza.

I needn't have any concern at all.  There would be no fear, no worry, no potential for trouble.  Playa's Fifth Avenue (Quinta Avenida) is the perfect representation of the modern tourist trap.  Some street entertainers, including a living statue so good it actually freaked me out, with some local colour and restaurants all the while layered with the usual diaspora of global branding--Old Navy, The Nike Store, Haagen Dazs, McDonalds.

Any thoughts of the potentiality of too-much-foreign-ness evaporated when Carlos, my cab driver, took me to the drop-off point, right beside the Scotiabank.  "Easy to remember," he said, "Because it's right across from the Forever 21."  As the trepidation left me, so did any sense of excitement.  Still, I paid for the cab ride.  I thanked him and headed down to the avenue proper, a street set aside strictly for pedestrian use but intercut occasionally by a throughroad.

I have to admit, the planners did a smash-up job.  The area was clean.  Bookended by malls but with less foreign stores on the avenue proper to ensure it didn't feel too corporate.  Barkers selling wares on the street but not so many that it felt too intimidating.  Restaurants of many of different stripes but most selling some derivation of local food, to make sure it didn't feel too un-Mexican.  It wasn't too anything.  And maybe, from a travelers perspective, that sounds damning.  But for someone looking to see something slightly new, safely, with a family?  Quinta Avenida is exactly what they're looking for.



The main square near the far end housed the ferry transfer point to Cozumel, famed stop for Caribbean cruises. The square was open, and currently being worked by a local traditional dance troupe.  It held the lovely view of the ocean with a rather impressive statue guarding the shore from the waves.

I bought myself a steak for lunch.  The resort's meals had been good for the most part but their feature dishes -- the literal meat of the meat and potatoes had been somewhat lacking.  So I got myself a rib-eye at a high-end place by the street.  It went down nicely.  I firmly believe it's always a better vacation if it has a rib-eye in it somewhere. 

After a little more looking around and a small ice cream break, Carlos met me back at the Scotiabank at the appointed time to ferry me back to the hotel.

I had fun at Quinta Avenida, not too much.  But enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Shadow of Honest Abe

The first thing you notice about Washington is that it's short.   None of the buildings are over 12 stories max -- something to do with making sure the Capitol Building isn't overshadowed.   Coming out of New York it certainly has a different vibe, giving a small city feel to what's a pretty big city. It rained all day today, but I was determined to get some shots of the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Washington Monument.   Mission accomplished.  Still, the way the rain was falling the front of my shirt was soaked through by the time I got to ol' Abe.  The Lincoln Memorial was,  for me, the real object of the trip.   Even in a cold wet spring day, the sight of the greatest American President carved out of several tons of white marble perched on his chair and literally larger than life still gives one the feeling of being in the presence of greatness.  His words etched on each side of the memorial are still as eloquent as the day he spoke them.   After I got

Florida in the Key of West

Yesterday was not a pleasant day.   10 hours of driving only to end up at the Best Western in Jacksonville, just so I could stand around waiting for my laundry to finish because the hotel in Key West that I'm staying in for 4 nights had no laundry mentioned on their website.   So it's 10:30 at night and I'm sweating on the second floor between the world's loudest dryer and the local ice machine for an hour.  And that's following 30 minutes of washing.   I even had to hang dry some stuff because even after an hour it still wasn't dry yet. It's times like that that make me question whether or not this trip was even a good idea.  It usually happens in the waking moments before sleep when I'm lying in my rented bed in the middle of a town where I know no one.  Why am I here?  Am I learning anything?  Is this just a giant waste of time and money? And then there's times like the Wendy's.   I got in too late in Jacksonville and the hotel was far enough

A long time coming but I'm finally here

So I made it to New York. That's the long story made short. Here's the story at longer length: I got out of the house and on the road about an hour later than I expected to, but judging by all the maps I was looking at I would still be able to make it within a reasonable amount of time. The thing about trips though is you always forget something. I knew that once it was too late I would realize I forgot something that I absolutely needed. That's just the way it goes. I was dreading the border most of all, it would have really sucked to have to go through a hassle just cause some border guard is having a bad day. As I was approaching the Queenston/Lewiston crossing I picked a spot with two cars in front of me. The first car got the point. As in please park over there sir so we can ransack your car . The second car also got the point, and now I'm thinking is this the designated point guy for the day?! Am I gonna cavity-searched cause it was his turn to search everybody?