Skip to main content

A Dreamy Day in London


London is a not-very-attractive city surrounding an incredibly beautiful city.  I suppose that's true for most cities but it's especially true of London.  Coming in from the east end (I arrived at London City Airport on CityJet -- basically their version of Porter but with jets -- the level of shift in aesthetics was jarring.

I took an Uber in to save a few pounds and he turned out to be a reasonable tour guide on the way, pointing out the Tower Bridge and the Tower of London as well as some other landmarks.

I arrived at around 8:30 at my hotel which understandably did not have my room ready yet.  I knew this was likely, so operating on a questionable amount of sleep (I can never sleep well before and early flight -- my brain always thinks I'm going to miss it) I headed out into London.  I stared at the Underground map for several minutes and then decided to walk.  I picked this hotel because it was relatively close to everywhere and it paid off today.

It's right beside the British Museum, but the weather was good so I decided to see what I could see and left the inside of the museum for tomorrow.  I went through the West End Theatre district, Picadilly Circus, and Trafalgar Square which I was not expecting to be as thoroughly awesome as it was with Horation Nelson atop an enormous pillar guarded by four lions. 


Then I took a right to Buckingham Palace and saw some Horse Guard ride by.  Then down to Big Ben, which of course is right beside the Palace at Westminster (Parliament) which is of course right across from Westminster Abbey.  Crossed the river and took a picture of the big ferris wheel also known by it's official title -- the Coca-Cola Eye of London. I got caught in a sudden torrential rainstorm and huddled in the underground.  I considered taking it but the line for tickets was fifty deep so I waited out the storm instead.  Then I had lunch.

I walked back to the hotel, got my room, and took a long nap.  So that was my first day in London.  I was a bit dazed from lack of sleep so in my memory it seems almost like a dream.  But I have the pictures so it must've been real.

Tomorrow the plan is to go in-depth at a couple of museums and head out to the Tower of London proper.

I'll report back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Continuing Adventures...

It's been a long time since I last typed out words in this somewhat crappy (though reasonably improved!) blogger interface.  I ran my own site for a while before I realized my ROI on that was basically zero.  I have been bitten by the travel bug yet again, and so I decided to resurrect this rusty bag of digital bolts.  Anyways, some updates for you 1-2 readers who probably already know me anyway.

1.  Dave the Charger has gone to the farm upstate.  By that I mean I sold his ass back to the dealer.  Dave was a good car and we had some good times.  But in winter he failed me, and so he needed to go.  It was probably my fault for buying a rear-wheel drive car in Canada anyways.  Now I feel bad for Dave.

2.  In honor of my sudden sympathy for Dave the Car, I have decided that all cars I drive for the purposes of this blog (and there may be many) shall be referred to as Dave.  If any people-Daves happen to be met during my travels they will be referred to as Dave Jr to ensure no confusion…

Ireland, the Devil, and Me

The Irish have a saying, "May you already be in heaven before the devil finds out your dead."  Our bus driver told us that as he dropped us off back in Dublin after a long day out in Northern Island with a quick ride through Belfast, and up along the northern coast to the Giants Causeway--a span of basalt pillars reaching out into the sea.



Maybe I was expecting too much.  Maybe I've been spoiled by the Grand Canyon.  But I found the Giants Causeway somewhat unimpressive.  It was weird shaped rocks by the sea basically.  I will admit the overall tour was pretty good.  We saw the peace walls still separating the Catholic and Protestant sections of Belfast.  And we got to see a bunch of trees that were apparently used in Game of Thrones.  The weather started bad but ended up prettying itself up quite nicely.  The tour itself was only 50 Euros--probably one of the best tour deals I've ever been on.

Incidentally absolutely no passport checks entering Northe…

A Hundred and Fifty Years of Beers by a Lake

What does a hundred and fifty years of Canada really mean?  I think for most Canadians it means going a little more special on their July 1st celebrations and a small but relevant tingle of patriotism that feels warm and good and inclusive.  And that's a great thing.  Canadians worry a lot but we don't have all that much to worry about.  We're not in an active war zone, our economy is doing fine, and no one is attempting to strip us of our rights and freedoms.  Canada has been a pretty good country on the whole, and it deserves another 150 years.  If it screws up, we'll make a call then as to whether to continue or not.

I picked up the new Dave for an 11 day journey out from Toronto to Halifax.  2017 Ford Fusion.  Drives nice but you can tell it's the base engine.  It's fairly pep-less.  Got a really good deal which I assumed was related to a specific car needing to go to Halifax but I upgraded to a different vehicle with no issues, so... I don't know how …