Skip to main content

A Hundred and Fifty Years of Beers by a Lake



What does a hundred and fifty years of Canada really mean?  I think for most Canadians it means going a little more special on their July 1st celebrations and a small but relevant tingle of patriotism that feels warm and good and inclusive.  And that's a great thing.  Canadians worry a lot but we don't have all that much to worry about.  We're not in an active war zone, our economy is doing fine, and no one is attempting to strip us of our rights and freedoms.  Canada has been a pretty good country on the whole, and it deserves another 150 years.  If it screws up, we'll make a call then as to whether to continue or not.

I picked up the new Dave for an 11 day journey out from Toronto to Halifax.  2017 Ford Fusion.  Drives nice but you can tell it's the base engine.  It's fairly pep-less.  Got a really good deal which I assumed was related to a specific car needing to go to Halifax but I upgraded to a different vehicle with no issues, so... I don't know how the car rental business works I guess. 

I considered doing Canada Day in Ottawa with a whole mess of other people, but in the end I thought better of it.  The hotel prices alone would be bad enough to dissuade me, but the truth is, I would rather spend a holiday with a few good friends than with thousands of strangers.  So up I went to the Hiawatha First Nation near Peterborough and hung out with the Duff boys and friends for a couple of days.  There were drinks, there was merriment, there was the hassle of putting a boatlift in the water (not that I participated with that, being as I'm on vacation and all).

For Canada Day dinner the boys and friends (mostly the friends) put on the quite the feast.  Pasta and lobster tails and shrimp and bacon-wrapped scallops and and and.  Best meal I've had in a while, even if I had to eat it while standing half in the rain because the deck was full.  But that's cottage life.  You take the great with the slightly wet.

And now I'm in Ottawa.  Got out of Peterborough early this morning.  Dave got me here with aplomb.  First impressions: Not that impressed.  I'm on the 'outskirts' of the city (10 minutes drive from downtown) and it's basically every-medium-sized-town-Ontario.  I did take a drive downtown as well.  I don't know if it was the rain or the extra tourists or hangovers from Canada Day but people (drivers and pedestrians) were not acting in ways that were, how should I put this? Smart Half-way intelligent Even remotely recognizable as human In their best interests.

Tomorrow is another day.  Another day to take a cab in to see the sights.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Shadow of Honest Abe

The first thing you notice about Washington is that it's short.   None of the buildings are over 12 stories max -- something to do with making sure the Capitol Building isn't overshadowed.   Coming out of New York it certainly has a different vibe, giving a small city feel to what's a pretty big city. It rained all day today, but I was determined to get some shots of the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Washington Monument.   Mission accomplished.  Still, the way the rain was falling the front of my shirt was soaked through by the time I got to ol' Abe.  The Lincoln Memorial was,  for me, the real object of the trip.   Even in a cold wet spring day, the sight of the greatest American President carved out of several tons of white marble perched on his chair and literally larger than life still gives one the feeling of being in the presence of greatness.  His words etched on each side of the memorial are still as eloquent as the day he spoke them.   After I got

Florida in the Key of West

Yesterday was not a pleasant day.   10 hours of driving only to end up at the Best Western in Jacksonville, just so I could stand around waiting for my laundry to finish because the hotel in Key West that I'm staying in for 4 nights had no laundry mentioned on their website.   So it's 10:30 at night and I'm sweating on the second floor between the world's loudest dryer and the local ice machine for an hour.  And that's following 30 minutes of washing.   I even had to hang dry some stuff because even after an hour it still wasn't dry yet. It's times like that that make me question whether or not this trip was even a good idea.  It usually happens in the waking moments before sleep when I'm lying in my rented bed in the middle of a town where I know no one.  Why am I here?  Am I learning anything?  Is this just a giant waste of time and money? And then there's times like the Wendy's.   I got in too late in Jacksonville and the hotel was far enough

Walkin' in Memphis, and boy are my feet tired!

The trip through Tennessee, incidentally, was beautiful. Hilly, with roundabouts and full forests. Fun to drive. I tried to take some pictures with my phone, but they all came out pretty assy. I arrived at Memphis at around 4:20 which I later discovered was 3:20. Ah time zones. Looking for a place to eat I headed south down the road to what I hoped would be a nicer area since my hotel room gives me a beautiful view of the freeway. Walking through Memphis I got the impression that this is a city that's either on the verge of a fall or the verge of a comeback. At first I thought it was the former, though now I'm leaning towards the latter. There's a lot of nice things around, decent restaurants, nice views, ok shopping... but for every location with activity there seems at least one other that's boarded up with big For Lease notices stickered to the window. The other thing I noticed as I was walking was that nobody else was. Nobody. The city was dead to walking traffic. P